PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Witnessing a crash
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2015, 19:53
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few years back, I was at the hold after a short visit to Stapleford. When we landed, we had been warned there was a tailwind component (why we weren't landing the other way, I don't know) and I had been surprised by the effect. Anyway, similar warning went out to an AA5 on short finals. As I watched him sail overhead, I just knew it wasn't going to make it. Despite this, he landed way down the runway and tried to stop...and then tried to go-round..but failed and ended up hopping over a hedge and collapsing the castoring nose-wheel. All managed to evacuate OK but it brought home to me the very different feeling that a 'slight' tailwind component brings when it hasn't been experienced before
Who's fault is it that they cannot accurately land with a tailwind component ? Instructors? or incapable pilot ???

You will get them all the time or be offered a runway with a tailwind tailwind component! As long as its within the manual limits and the runway is long enough take it why not?

All you have displayed is a very incompetent pilot flying an AA5 sorry to say that but its fact

Would i want someone I cared about flying with a pilot like that? No thank you

Pace