PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Question for the PPrune moderators...
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2001, 14:54
cubby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scroggs,
I had a close call with a C130.
I was in a cessna 150 just passed my GFT whan I decided to go to cranfield from southampton .2/3rds there my nav box went down so i asked cranfield for a VDF but their kit was broke too and advised me to contact Luton.As I was messing with the radio a bloody great hercules stormed past my starbaord side & level. I could see the PIC looking at me as it did a wide arc across my bows . He was so close that if I had had a 20mm cannon I could have shot at him with just a turn of my rudder .
As I changed to Luton Radar i just heard the C130 give my call sign. I then called in but by now was well spooked. Luton idented me then advised the C130 that they had my details and were 'released' I was given vectors to cranfield then before handover was informed that I had breached controled air space . When I checked, it was by 1/2mile and 200ft . I was so put off by this incident that it put my flying back by nearly 2 years.The CAA asked for a report and no action was taken .
I can only assume that Luton sent the C130 to see who the intruder was but It seemed adit over the top . Is this a routine SOP to intercept CTA busters ? At the time I was headind North so could not have penetrated any further into the zone and would have been out within 5 minutes .

It was a good lesson and fortunately I did pickup flying again.

Cheers
Cubby .