PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Witnessing a crash
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2015, 10:41
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be careful not to underestimate the benefit from landing into wind. An aircraft with a 70kt groundspeed has almost twice the kinetic energy that the same aircraft has with a 50kt groundspeed. That energy has to go somewhere and could make all the difference in a real world scenario.
But the last place you want that energy going is vertically into the ground and you attached to it!!

Of course and into wind landing is far far preferable but if you are going for your interwind field and realise you have got the glide wrong to make it and there is a line of trees in front you need to clear do you pull back and try to stretch the glide to clear the trees with fingers crossed or take an adequate field which isn't into wind on your left or slightly behind?

Never fly committed to one course of action always be thinking of other options in case that one door closes on you! and be prepared to change in a blink to plan B. If you enter a room and there is only one door and that one door slams locked you are stuffed.

I know what my choice would be

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 18th Mar 2015 at 12:06.