PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR departure from non-controlled aerodrome
Old 18th Mar 2015, 06:51
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've missed the point, which was that pilots have amended their practice (joining over the middle of the runway) to fit in with the call they like to hear or think should be made (joining mid-field crosswind).
I didn't miss the point. I said, in not so many words, that I consider the point to be incorrect.

Many pilots have "amended their practice" because they think the recommended practice is to join mid-field (if joining crosswind), and they think the word "mid-field" means what it says. They are also trained to 'speak up' if they think it would be helpful, and one of the items in the 'speak up' check list is "position". Mid-field crosswind is not the same position as crosswind over the upwind threshold. And as we know, many pilots don't join crosswind at the mid-field position.

Perhaps we could mandate some standard phrases for operations in the vicinity of non-controlled aerodromes?

If you consider that paragraph 6.6.3 of the CAAP is, in context, a crystal clear statement that the recommendation, if joining crosswind, is to join anywhere between midfield and the departure end of the runway, we'll have to agree to disagree. Depending on how hard you squint, it can be read as being about altitude.

(I'd prefer that all CAAPs be cremated, so that people got into the habit of referring to the authoritative sources, unaffected by the vagaries of paraphrasing and personal opinions. After all, according to the CAAPs: "A CAAP is not intended to clarify the intent of a CAR, which must be clear from a reading of the regulation itself...". Work that one out without having a brain explosion!)

Last edited by Creampuff; 18th Mar 2015 at 07:12.