PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Question for the PPrune moderators...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2001, 02:05
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JM,
yes, we have done it before. In fact, I think WWW's story has been recapped here in the last 24 hours.
My own story is less interesting than some, as most of you have no interest in the military. But here goes, for what it's worth.
I joined the RAF in 1977. I joined to be an engineer - at the time, the RAF was taking A-level-qualified people for engineering commissions. I wore glasses, so I assumed I'd never get aircrew but, on attending Biggin Hill (who said Hornchurch?) I was assured my eyesight was OK (it wasn't), and would I like to be a pilot? I said, yeah, OK. My dad was a Lightning pilot at the time, so I wasn't actually too sure about doing the 'following the old man' bit, but I had got a few hours gliding and knew that, deep down, I really wanted the opportunity to give it a go.
After officer training at RAF Henlow, I went to Linton-on-Ouse for my basic training on the Jet Provost. Not long after my first solo, they realised that my eyesight wasn't up to much so I had a tense month or two waiting while the RAF decided whether or not it could afford to buy me glasses. They did (the SMO at Linton had originally diagnosed my myopia 3 years earlier in Germany!) and I resumed my training, now as a course on my own.
I had a hard time at Linton; I was not a natural pilot and I enjoyed the social life more than the military aspects - a failing throughout my RAF career! But I did well enough to graduate to fast jet training, firstly on the Jet Provost Mk5 at Linton and then the brand-new Hawk T1 at Valley. Lucky I did, as those who didn't pass the fast jet course at Valley said good-bye to piloting, period.
At Valley I had a ball; great flying, great aeroplane, great company. Unfortunately (for me), some of the senior help decided it would be nice if I followed my old man to the Lightning via the Hunter at TWU (Lossiemouth). The Hunter was great, but I wasn't. About half way through the weapons course, against the wishes of the staff, I resigned from fast-jet training and asked to go to the Hercules.
Again, my career went into limbo while 'they' deliberated over my future. At last, at the end of 1979, I was told I could go to the C130, via a 'multi-engine refresher' course on the Jetstream at RAF Finningley. Refresher - what a joke! I was teamed up with a group of ex Hastings, Britannia and Argosy pilots with malingi thousands of hours, and I had to keep my head above water! I made it, but it was harder than anything else I'd done so far.
The training on the C130 was a breeze by comparison, and I had a great time on my first tour on LXX Sqn at Lyneham flying the Herc in the tactical transport role - low-level, air drop, rough fields etc. And the occasional foray around the world. And the Falklands war (and Beirut, and a few other smaller punch-ups). After 3 years, at age 27, I was given a command on the C130 on 30 Sqn, a world-wide route outfit.
By this time the C130 had gained a tactical tanker role, and this became my speciality. I spent over half the next three years in the South Atlantic! I got time off for good behaviour when the RAF sent me to the Central Flying School at RAF Scampton to learn to be a QFI on Bulldogs. I'd never flown a light aircraft before in my life, but I had a ball with the 'Dog. I went on to Yorkshire UAS as the junior QFI, and graduated to the CFI over the next 4 years. It was fabulous, and I'll share the stories at the Gatbash if you're interested! Don't let Overtorque tell you any lies about this period, though!
In 1991 it was back to the C130 at Lyneham, this time on 24 Sqn, and the tactical tanker role again. As, by then, one of the more experienced guys, and a QFI, it was only a matter of time before I was grabbed for the OCU (the training squadron) to teach air-to-air refualling, low-level flying, air drop and comabt against fighters. I can honestly say there wasn't a better job in the RAF! And I still got to do the odd trip around the world. Later, it got better still when I was invited to join the Hercules display crew in 1994, becoming the display captain for the 1996 season. The final chapter was being selected as part of the 'core' team to bring the C130J into service from the end of 1996.
But, by then, I had family responsibilities. Having my first child at 40 meant I had to consider the wisdom of working for an empoyer who would retire me at 55. I decided that I needed to work to 65, and that the airlines were the only way to achieve that. I resigned from the RAF in January 1998, and had to go all out to do my ATPL (yes, all the exams) in six months. I couldn't have done it without the excellent guidance of all at Bristol Groundschool.
I applied to BA, Cathay Cargo (ASL) and Virgin, and was selected by all three, although BA were only going to offer me the hold pool. I took Virgin, on the 747, and started in August 1998. I'm still there!

Edit: in June 2002 I moved to the A340 as the B742 was being wound down, and now spend my time flying the A340-300 and -600 to various ultra-longhaul destinations. Command is now no longer a distant prospect; subject to a pre-command assessment, I expect to enter command training this year (2005).

Edit again: I was successfully assessed for command in May 2005, and began command training in January 2006, still on the A340.

Further edit: I have now held a coomand on the A340-600/-300 for three years, and have 5000 or so hours on the A340 (2300 PIC), out of my total of 14000 (7000 PIC). Despite the difficulties of the airline industry in early 2009, I still wouldn't trade my job for anyone else's!

Last edited by scroggs; 18th Feb 2006 at 13:16.