PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 17th Mar 2015, 16:08
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
It's all well and good to talk about theoreticals like how many thousands of feet it takes to recover from FDVRS. But it doesn't really matter. Conditions like VRS and SWP do not typically occur up at altitude where the hapless pilot has plenty of time and altitude to figure out what's happening. No, these things usually happen down low, at the bottom of a mucked-up approach. And then it's over pretty quickly. BAM! as Emeril Lagasse would say.

Using the Sr. Vuichard's method might work for a VRS encounter (although I personally have not yet tried it). But what would happen if you were just running out of power to stop an increasing rate of descent? You feed in a bunch of right cyclic and push the left pedal...and...you hit the ground sideways.

Remember, there's not a lot of time to sort things out. Either way, it'll probably be over before you know it.

Then there's the feelings of panic, denial and the resultant "this can't be happening" inaction. Even just a couple of seconds of that can mean the difference between saving the day and crashing. Oh, we all like to think we're some magic combination of the Chucks: Yeager and Aaron, but sadly we pilots can sometimes be very, very human. I know I can. And my name ain't Chuck.

And anyway, why are we even discussing this? Are helicopters still crashing due to VRS?