PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 17th Mar 2015, 14:54
n5296s

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Seems strange that only the Swiss advocate this method or is it wider spread than that?
Maybe it's because they have a different relationship with the holes in the cheese?

(Sorry, couldn't help it. And thanks for all the contributions to this thread, it's all quite amazing actually - and also the reference to the ancient (by Internet standards) contributions by Nick Lappos et al).

There seem to be a lot of parallels between FDVRS and fully developed fixed-wing spins. They both have a fairly simple aerodynamic explanation, on the face of it. They both behave predictably about 95% of the time, so you're not really prepared for the 20th time when it turns around and bites. And it's only when you get into deeper analysis of exactly what is going on that you realise just how complex the whole thing it is.

From a pilot training pov, there's no reason ever to be in either, just to know what causes it and to recognise the onset so you can NEVER go there. (That said, I've done a lot more spins than I ever intend to do FDVRS, for which my target is zero unless one day I'm lucky enough to fly with one of the handful of people who could safely demonstrate one).

Thanks again for all the quality input and reflection on here...

John