PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nanchang CJ-6
Thread: Nanchang CJ-6
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2003, 18:59
Lowtimer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never seen one in the UK since Peter Underhill wrote about it for Pilot, but it has a reputation in the USA as being a sweet-handling machine. The CJ-6 is not, however, a derivative of the Yak-52 or Yak-50, it is descended down a separate route from the Yak-18 (so the -6 and the -52 do have a considerable amount of DNA in common, as a look in the cockpit quickly shows). The wing geometry of the -6, and the way its main gear retracts, bears much more resemblance to that of the Yak-18T which is frequently seen in the UK, than it does to that of the Yak-50 and -52, which looks flat to me (but I gather actually has just 2 degress of dihedral). Most CJ-6s have the Housai engine of 260 or 285 hp, though in the USA some people have installed the Yak's 360 hp M-14P. In standard form the -52 has a lot more acceleration, climb and aerobatic capability, but the CJ-6 with its fully retracting undercarriage is a more efficient cruiser. Some people say that it has a better instantaneous turn capability, with its bigger wing, but in sustained manoeuvring the Yak's higher power to weight ratio should see it maintain the edge. A 360 or 400 hp CJ-6 might well be lots of fun. It is perhaps notable that the latest tailwheel Yak-52 versions have fully-retracting, door equipped main gear, and according to the Termikas web site this drag reduction puts no less than 30 km/h on the top speed.

(edited to correct the dihedral point!)

Last edited by Lowtimer; 10th Jun 2003 at 20:02.