PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Probability of an Engine Failure in a Certified GA SEP
Old 17th Mar 2015, 00:51
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by fdcg27
The probability of a bad outcome following an engine failure can also be reduced, but only if we recognize the possibility and plan for it.
It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when if you fly enough hours.
I totally agree with your statement, but this is a case of "what should be" vs "what is". What "should be" is that pilot induced engine failures are very rare, unfortunately "what is", is the fact that a very large percentage of engine failures reflect the lack of attention to piloting fundamentals.

I see a collective denial of this fact throughout GA and strongly believe the path to better outcomes is not practicing hero turn backs or perfecting your PFL flight paths, it has to start with a industry wide concentration on the importance of the 5 steps

However engine do fail despite the best efforts of the pilot and so risk mitigation procedures should always be applied.

For me that means the following.

For over water flight I try to stay in gliding distance of the shore and always wear a horse show type constant wear life jacket.

For night flight I will only fly multi engine aircraft at night, except that I will fly a single at night but only in the circuit.