PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HCS (HUMAN CARGO SLING)
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2015, 00:19
Ready2Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hoistop
There are many operators in europe and Americas doing short haul or long line Human external Cargo ops. Hovewer, in EASA land, you practically cannot do it with single engined helicopter anymore, if operation falls under civil regulations (EU 965/2012), as there are severe limitations with Class 3 (single engine) operations.
HEC will be (to be precise it already is) part of Annex VIII of Commission Regulation (EU) 965/2012 (Part-SPO). In contrast to HHO which is part of Annex IV (Part-CAT), I could not find any reference to or requirement of helicopter performance for HEC.

In an early draft, HEC was supposed to be regulated in Part-SPA and you could find the requirement of performance class 1 in OPS.SPA.025.HEC.

However, HEC did not make it into Part-SPA and the aforementioned draft was not followed up on.

I see no requirement in Annex VIII which limits HEC to performance class 1 or 2.

So, if you say
there are severe limitations with Class 3 (single engine) operations
can you please quote where in regulation 965/2012 (or elsewhere) you found this with regards to HEC?

P.S.: I am not saying single engine HEC is good or bad. I simply do not see the requirement for performance class 1 or 2 when operating HEC (in contrast to HHO).