PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR departure from non-controlled aerodrome
Old 16th Mar 2015, 23:57
chickenlegs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VFR departure from non-controlled aerodrome

Seeking on some advice on the correct procedure for departure from an Australian non-controlled aerodrome, as I'm getting back into flying after many years away and trying to understand all the rule changes. When I learnt to fly in the 90s, I was taught where possible to depart overhead the field to minimise any initial track error.

I notice that the AIP says 'departing aircraft should depart by extending one of the standard circuit legs'. The same story appears in CAAP 166-1 (Operations in the vicinity of non-controlled aerodromes) but it also says that any aircraft departing overhead the aerodrome needs to be aware of traffic joining the circuit using the overfly procedure.

Does this mean that you can still legally depart overhead the aerodrome? If not what is the best way to intercept your outbound track from an extended circuit leg without the use of any navaids and without having to track outbound from upwind for 3nm and then turn in a direction contrary to the local circuit direction in order to intercept your track.

Last edited by chickenlegs; 17th Mar 2015 at 00:12.