PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice
Thread: Advice
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2015, 22:15
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Similar problems, basically caused by not knowing where to look and over thinking what I was doing because of it.

The cures were:

1. Saying to myself "aim point, airspeed" constantly on final. A smudge on the windscreen helps with getting the aim point right, and of course you have your trim set accurately for desired approach speed with hands off.

..that means I arrive over the fence at Fifty feet at the desired speed, maybe 60 knots or less to 55knots.

2. At Fifty feet and on desired speed stop looking at instruments and look outside. You must keep your eyes outside!

3.At the poit of flare use "the jacobsen flare" technique. Fix your eye on the centre of the far end of the runway and try and fly there. You will naturally pul back to try and prevent your decent for those last few feet and should arrive with stall warning sounding and full back stick.

….Or at least that is what I try to achieve, and sometimes I pull it off

Serious suggestion: Find an instructor who understands how to use the MkI landing training aid - an A4 sheet of paper with four bits of bluetack. It certainly cured me!