PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Probability of an Engine Failure in a Certified GA SEP
Old 16th Mar 2015, 21:47
The Flying Pram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And of course aircraft engines run at far higher power settings for much longer than a car engine does. At take off it runs at full power from near-cold for quite a long time
But those full power settings are quite frankly derisory. An O360 displaces nearly six litres, yet typically produces 180hp or less. That's just under 33hp/litre. My 1979 Austin Maxi was putting out around 58hp/litre! Anyone who takes off with a "near cold" engine deserves everything they get.

As I said in an earlier thread, I managed almost 1200 hours with a Rotax 447 two stroke, and didn't have it stop once. On two occasions I encountered a reduction in power, due to water in the premix fuel - it wasn't visible separately, but formed a waxy deposit in the filter. I also had a brief run of misfires, which eventually turned out to be a faulty ignition harness. This could have affected any petrol engine. I don't believe this otherwise good record was down to luck, but sensible engine handling and regular maintenance, which I carried out myself.

If I was constantly worrying about things going quiet, I would have packed in long before other circumstances intervened.