PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Biggin Hill Airshow Dying A Slow Death
Old 10th Jun 2003, 17:50
DamienB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at the line-up beforehand I thought it was going to be a bit thin but I enjoyed the show a lot - some really great flying which I thought more than made up for any perceived lack of 'star' attractions, and any missing items (sadly of course one of those should have been Pierre Hollander in the Ryan replica).

Mikael Carlson in the Tummelisa on Saturday was awesome - pity he got told to tone it down a bit for Sunday! Breitling fighters are always fantastic but with 3 Spits seemed even better than usual - and those low take-offs and popping up from behind the trees reminded me of the 'Gosh' factor (polite version) of some of the less restricted shows of the 1980s. Ray Hanna closing the show both days with a solo Spit display was also sheer perfection - I don't think there's another living soul with that sort of mastery of the type. F-86 and Firefly formation was clearly a challenge (best on Sunday!), the A340 demo was just hugely impressive (wonder how many 999 calls it prompted). T-33 and F-86 demos both very crisp and belied both types' age and performance - put to shame some of the fast jet demos you see. Nice to see a Jag T-bird displaying for once too. I could go on...

As for organisation - getting in a breeze, getting out - ouch. No marshalling going on so it was just a fight to get out involving much driving across the carpark area if you had any sense and wanted to avoid queuing for hours. It's getting to be very expensive for the single-bloke-in-a-car though!

Would be interested to find out why the Tornado F.3 aborted his display on Sunday about half-way through, as the general opinion from those watching seemed to be that it was rather rough around the edges (on the Saturday morning practice it even looked like they'd lost it at one point and were going to hit the deck when setting up for one of the passes - very scary).

Obligatory self-plug - there's a pile of piccies in the Av. History & Nostalgia forum.