PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 16th Mar 2015, 21:22
gator2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of thoughts on this from a 200 hr pilot, (but an engineer).
When full lever down, lift is still created by the rotor. As proved in my R44 with a solo auto, cold day, little fuel, full down lever still doesn't drive rpms into green, and the whole auto can be performed with the lever down.

Therefore, lift is still being created at full lever down, therefore downwash is still being created, therefore downwash is still being added to the VR column even as we pray for the machine to drop through that column.

When the cyclic is rammed forward and not much happens, it is because we're still roughly at the speed of the downwash, so not much of a horizontal vector is created because not much "felt" by the rotor disk.
s
So, fully developed VRS, drop the lever, ram the cyclic forward, you have to wait for the machine to drop THROUGH the downward column of air, which it is still adding to somewhat, or hope what little horizontal vector you can put on the disk will pull the machine forward out of the column.

On the other hand, if the tail rotor is outside the column of air going down, it can add significant translational force to the right ('Murican helis), while crossing the controls adds to that translation to the right with whatever horizontal vector the rotor disk can bite out of the downward column. Sidestep 40 feet to the right, and viola! Clean air. So, in theory, that seems to me the underlying cause that the vuichard technique might be quicker.

Or not. I'm just a rookie.