PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure After Takeoff - Are YOU ready for it?
Old 16th Mar 2015, 20:46
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuk, Skyhawk Norway, poor English forgiven, 'cause most of us are even less good at Norwegian!

BPF, who really knows his stuff, and I differ a bit on these points, and that's fair enough - it makes for great discussion here! I can assure everyone that neither of us would challenge the technique of the other, were we right seat to him.

The key here is for everyone to think about this, an the possible outcomes from the departure technique you have chosen. I have had one engine failure at ten feet up, and I just put it back down. But higher up than that, choices may be more limited, and affected by the pilot's technique.

For those who are interested in learning more on this topic, I encourage some self study of the "Height Velocity Curve" for helicopters, and what it means to the pilot. The concept is the same for a fixed wing aircraft, just the numbers are different. When you understand the concept, then apply it to the aircraft you fly, and think about the possibility that you get yourself into that "curve" - perhaps needlessly.

Sometimes, you 'gotta, but other times, you can minimize the effect. Altitude is time and choice, though speed is stored energy - you want some of each!