PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 QRH Loss of Thrust on Both Engines - interpretation question.
Old 16th Mar 2015, 13:05
Australopithecus

Received 82 Likes on 38 Posts
It pays to have at least a nodding acquaintance with the airstart envelope. Pick a speed target at 25,000 and 10,000' so that you can interpolate mentally during the otherwise placid procedure.

Energy bled off at a high speed cannot be recovered completely in a subsequent speed reduction to min drag. Min drag isn't always the best range number wither, depending on wind. But you guys know that, obviously.

When I flew 737's the TREs would take great pains to point out the start EGT limits applied for the second start. I would always get them to clarify that if the first engine took, say 900° to start up, then I couldn't have the second engine back if it exceeded 725° during its start? (This was always preceded by an ash encounter, by the way). There is often an urge to invent arbitrary limitations based on something unrelated mentioned in the FCOM, I have found.

To summarise...in a loss of both engines, you are keeping some engine restart attempts in reserve for what? There is no duty cycle for non starter assisted starts, and hence no limits published, reasonably imagined, nor, by any measure, logical. Die busy.