Thread: The flare
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2015, 08:49
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holding off again.

Hi Pace,

Thank you for replying so promptly.

A bit different when the wind is 90 degrees across 10 KTS gusting 25 KTS with wind shear
Under those conditions, I was taught to use a wheeler landing following from either a crabwise or a wing down approach.

The ex-fast jets chief instructor by contrast taught me, when landing cross wind, to approach with into-wind wing down and then do a two-point landing onto my into-wind main U/C member and tail-wheel. A method I had never even seen before and now consider safe only for light to nearly moderate cross winds.

I also consider this method to have been largely responsible for the very first ground loop I ever experienced as when doing it I was caught by a cross-wind gust when my tail was down in a landing attitude. This meant I had reduced rudder authority with which to keep straight and I was unable, when power was applied, to accelerate anywhere nearly as quickly as would have been possible had I been tail-up doing a wheeler.

I bet that instructor didn't hold those off
My point precisely Pace. When it comes to the advisability of 'holding off' I prefer to accept what I was taught by a WW2 Wellington pilot rather than someone whose Hunter/Javelin/Lightning didn't need to be held off and who, when I asked to revise wheelers, just walked away.

Foxmoth.

Thank you for your very interesting comment. After careful thought I am beginning to think that perhaps this whole subject is rather a nice point; (using the word 'nice' in its proper meaning). Like you, I too have flown the Tiger Moth and as we both know when landing you release the wing slats so that they can open and allow your wing angle of attack to increase beyond the normal 15 or so degrees at which it should otherwise stall. The slats being effectively sucked out as the stall process commences.

Hitherto I should have said that this proves that the condition of the wing when touching down is stalled. Especially with straight wings (well the upper main-plane anyway) which have a gradual stall characteristic, so perhaps the stall is indeed still incomplete as you first touch down for a three point landing. But this still doesn't dissuade me from holding off when landing as long as the wind is pretty near straight down the runway.

Thanks guys.

BP.