PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Probability of an Engine Failure in a Certified GA SEP
Old 15th Mar 2015, 21:16
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
The Probability of an Engine Failure in a Certified GA SEP

This comment on the EFATO thread got me thinking.

That's why we should expect it - on every take off. Be surprised if it keeps running!
Personally I think flight training spends an outsized amount of time and effort on bad occurrences that are quite rare and not nearly enough time on bad occurrences that are quite common.

If you are sitting at the edge of your seat waiting for the engine to fail on every takeoff and then are "surprised" when it doesn't than I think you are ascribing a much higher probability to the event than it warrants.

This does not mean you ignore the possibility of it happening. I think every pilot should review the EFATO vital actions prior to every takeoff and pay attention to the terrain surrounding the airport but an EFATO is just one of the many negative eventualities that could occur during the flight, many which are much more probable ( eg Carb icing).

The risk of most of these eventualities can be mitigated by a disciplined approach to flying, including good pre flight planning (Wx, NOTAMS, Fuel Calculations etc), effective checklist use and a good look out both in and out of the cockpit.

If those precautions are applied than an EFATO is very unlikely. If you look at the accident statistics the Least Common scenario is for an EFATO in for an aircraft that has

1) no outstanding maintenance issues,
2) Has sufficient fuel, no contamination, and from a correctly selected tank
3) Shows no anomalies during a complete and comprehensive runup
4) Was checked for Carb ice before lining up for takeoff, and
5) The engine gauges where in the green and the engine was developing full static RPM at the start of the takeoff role.

The accident statistics show that up to 80 % of SEP engine failures were caused by the actions or inactions of the pilot with fuel exhaustion/contamination/mis-selction and carb icing accounting for the majority of the engine failures.

I think it is important that my list of 5 actions are wholly in the control of the pilot and will dramatically lower the risk of an engine failure at every stage of the flight.

If you are slap dash about your walk around, rush through the runup and don't use a disciplined check list methodology, and then go out and do a bunch of PFL's; yes you will be safer than doing no training but you will be acquiring skills to deal with the engine failure you very likely have caused.

Engine failures do occur but I would strongly suggest that if you are serious in preparing yourself for this eventuality your training should start with reviewing actions that will reduce the possibility of the engine failure and then progress to practicing the actions that could restore power in the event of a failure and only then work on actually flying the forced approach manooever.

Well I am done for now but I expect this should engender a lively discussion.