PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - proof of being a passenger on delayed flight
Old 15th Mar 2015, 20:51
El Bunto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The statutory period for claiming under EU261, in England and Wales, is six years from the date of flight. This was established by the Court of Appeal in a case involving Thomson last year, in which precedent was maintained and EU261 claims were determined to fall under national law, not the Montreal Convention.

Small Claims in England and Wales:

If your claim is based on Contract then you must bring your action against your opponent within 6 years of the date of the breach of contract. However for certain types of contract the period can be extended to 12 years (e.g. where the contract is in the form of a Deed).
You'd best hurry up.

Unlike airlines, which can take their sweet time about conveying you on your journey. After all your time is less important than their bottom-line...

The trains I use weekly are appalling - rarely on time and often cancelled as they do not have enough drivers. I get nothing but live with it.
If your train journey was international then COTIF compensation applies.
If your train is delayed by more than one hour, you're entitled to meals and refreshments appropriate to the delay.
If the delay extends overnight, you're entitled to hotel accommodation and transport to and from the hotel if this is possible.
If the train has broken down on the track, where possible, you should be given transport from the train to a station or your end destination.
After 60 minutes you become entitled to compensation.

I believe there is also a maritime equivalent. Those meddling Eurocrats, eh? Can't they just stick to picking on airlines?

Last edited by El Bunto; 15th Mar 2015 at 21:05.