PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure After Takeoff - Are YOU ready for it?
Old 15th Mar 2015, 20:41
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Step Turn

It all works, but requires a lot more skill. Thus, I like to encourage a bit more speed for climb away, when obstacle clearance and noise are not a concern. Similarly, when gliding down without out concern for "making" the only suitable landing area, those few extra knots are money in the bank when you come to flare.
I very much respect Step Turn's considerable flying and flight test experience but in this instance I do not agree with his advice.

Altitude is time and options, therefore the higher you are the more time you have to get the aircraft under control and set at a safe gliding attitude and higher gives you more options on where you can go.

The maximum height in the shortest time will be achieved at Vy airspeed so that is why I tell my students to hold this speed until they are at least 1000 feet AGL.

Climbing at a higher airspeed will increase the time to an altitude where you have better options and increase your vulnerability.

Last edited by Big Pistons Forever; 15th Mar 2015 at 21:18.