PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piston Plane Refueled with Jet Fuel Kills Pilot
Old 15th Mar 2015, 19:10
avturboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cockney steve
It would be interesting to know if any research has been done, on the combustibility of Avgas/Jet mixes.
I doubt that any research has been done, better to focus on getting the correct grade of fuel in the tank in the first place, however I understand your point.

I think the problem is that if we introduce the idea that 'there is a tolerance' with regard to misfueling then we will divert attention from the significant most important issue, don't let it happen in the first place.

It is a fact that misfuelling Avgas into a Jet powered aircraft is less like to have a fatal outcome than the other way around, but I would not want to introduce the idea that a 'tolerance' of misfuel is in any way acceptable.

Fuelling operations will be far better served if everyone concentrates their efforts on a zero tolerance of activity that could result in misfuelling.

After 25 years in the aviation fuelling industry I know of many instances of misfuelling, some have resulted in the closest of 'near misses' others have resulted in fatal outcomes. My continued effort will be to train those involved to have 'zero tolerance' of any ambiguity that could lead to a misfuelling. I would much rather explain a delay than be involved in a fatal accident investigation.

I don't want that to sound over dramatic, but if you look into the circumstances of misfuelling I hope you'll understand where i'm coming from.