PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2015, 17:44
Bagso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed George Osbourne no doubt surely soon to be Lord Osbourne of Tatton, getting a bit of a panning on another thread. I don't propose to leap to his defense but I do believe others and on both sides are equally culpable of "not quite getting it right" !

It is interesting to quantify his performance against other MPs in the area and also those who have a interest in aviation.

With 7 weeks to an election lets have a look at the runners and riders who influence Manchester Airport thinking .......OR not as the case may be !

One person who could have used her "good offices" to better effect is one Louise Elhman. If you honestly think Mr Osbourne is somewhat lacking, lord knows what you must think about the poverty of effort from this constituent member who represents an area less than an hour from the airport and who crucially is chairperson of the Transport Select Committee. Whilst MPs are not "plane spotters" surely some of the indepth discussion she has had with industry professionals has had some influence on her thinking, and whilst yes that involves LHR does Manchester not appear on her radar in any way shape of form ? Not at the expense of London BUT at least as an as well as.....

Over the various years of her tenure it is difficult to believe that she has not mentioned Manchester once, this despite the fact it supports business in HER constituency, especially long haul. She is however conversant with some aviation thinking, she is robust dare I say evangelical in her support of LHR3 which makes the absence of any opinion comment on Manchester even more irritating. There are those who might suggest she is envious? Maybe she thinks Liverpool is in the frame for a direct Liverpool - LHR service. Given its proximity to Manchester I doubt it could achieve this with 6 runways let alone 3 !

If we think Louise Elhman is hopeless enter stage right one Graham Brady, Conservative MP for Sale, sorry a personal opinion has to come to the fore "he is a complete burke".

His "new" election office is 10 minutes from Manchester Airport a place it seems he only uses to get to Heathrow, an airport he also steadfastly supports above and beyond Manchester. It might be worth reminding him that the good people of Sale many of whom work at Manchester, yes that's Manchester elected him....NOT those in Hayes and Middlesex.

Whilst we talk of poverty of airport, entering from the left is "Mr Party Animal", the ever effervescent Graham Stringer, if you need anesthetic for a root canal this is your man. He could send the audience at a Slipknot concert to sleep. Yet ANOTHER local MP and another member of the T.S.C. seemingly more interested in the South East than "local issues" !

At this point I should say I have no issue with MPs of any persuasion having a fair and unbiased opinion but when that is to the disadvantage of the people who elected them it does start to irk somewhat, especially when they "appear" more vociferous about issues 200 miles away than at least paying minor lip service to those in their own backyard !

Finally what of the MP " FOR MANCHESTER AIRPORT" Mike Kane ?
Deary me, it has to be said it "seemed" to take an age for him to get his feet under the table and this finally resulted in a brief debate on regional airports in the commons where he was it has to be said batting for Manchester ! Maybe this isn't the done thing at "party level" as he has disappeared without trace in recent months !

Whilst I concede George Osbourne may not be everybody's cup of tea at least if nothing else he does manage to get us some column inches whenever he mentions Manchester Airport !

If we have to rely on some of the other Honourable Members for promotion or even a modicum of support .....it seems we will be waiting a awful long time !