PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates confirm New Zealand flights!
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2003, 15:27
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

It's probably the most highly competed stretch of water after the Atlantic in the world,

In that case, I'm surprised that Air New Zealand and QANTAS don't run more frequent, and/or higher capacity aircraft to meet the demand.
I travel that route 3 or 4 times in 12 months, and the aircraft have been invariably chock-a-block. About 2 years ago I tried it on an interline staff ID (which worked out about the same as a full EY ticket, but was sub-load), and missed out.

Speaking to friends in Hanmer Springs (a small alpine village about 130 kms north of Christchurch) on Saturday, who told me that they wanted to go CHC-BNE in July, but were unable to get seats.

Additionally, Australia and New Zealand have been seen as "safe havens" from SARS, and I believe that tourist numbers have increased (as opposed to have diminished considerably) as these 2 countries have become a couple of the more popular destinations of choice for holidaymakers.

If ever Air New Zealand had THE opportunity to capitalise on New Zealand as a destination in its own right, then NOW is it.

Obviously Emirates (and Cathay?) marketing has been quick to realise the untapped potential of the passengers left behind by TE and QF.