PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure After Takeoff - Are YOU ready for it?
Old 15th Mar 2015, 09:27
DeltaV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess preparedness is everything. If you've considered the possibility of an EFATO and thought about what you might have to do in the eventuality you'll certainly be quicker in adopting the actions.

I've never had an EFATO but I have had a partial loss, lost a cylinder, but since the aircraft was still able to climb I flew a tight circuit to land back where I started. A little sweaty but no great drama.

One thing I have wondered about is this insistence that we push the nose down. Now I realised that early in the takeoff when you're on the back side of the drag curve that's the thing to do, and maybe at all phases with very low energy types, but if established in the climb and trimmed out why not let the trim tab fly the plane while you get busy on other aspects? My best L/D is at 56 kts and I trim for 60 kts in the climb. If I pull the throttle to idle and leave it to the tab the speed drops, the nose comes down and we settle in a descent, trimmed still at 60kts. So in such circumstances why not just relax any fore/aft grip on the stick/wheel? Or is a positive push seen as the opening action in taking decisive control of the outcome?