PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The flare
Thread: The flare
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2015, 09:22
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normally

We fly a VREF speed of 1.3 times the stall speed in a given configuration this allows enough surplus energy over the stall with a closed throttle to transition from a descent to a touchdown.
That could theoretical be 1.4 or 1.2 above the stall speed in a given configuration.

The slower the touchdown speed the shorter the landing distance.
the idea of HOLDING OFF has a question mark over it as in certain situations in crosswinds or down draughts the last thing you want to be doing is holding off 10 feet above the runway.

Often you will fly the aircraft onto the deck with no holding off
the FLARE can be a a large movement yet there again it can be no more than a wrist jerk.

We are taught the conventional landing to land as close to the stall as possible with as smooth a touchdown as possible pulling back and back till eventually the aircraft sinks onto the runway at or near the stall but often this isn't always the best way and may not be the best way on a long runway or the wrong conditions to favour that method.

Landing is to make contact with a hard surface with as little descent rate as possible i.e. so the aircraft remains intact

I posted before about an accident at Edinburgh where a pilot I know had control problems in a Citation! He landed at a radar determined speed of 200 kTS way above the the normal VREF speed of 105 KTS and the tyre limiting speed, but the aircraft stopped and was intact and HE LANDED

i have posted this as there are so many misconceptions about landing and the only way is not the way we are taught as new pilots

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 15th Mar 2015 at 09:32.