PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish A330 incident, Kathmandu
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2015, 06:55
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Capn Bloggs

2D-3D , yes agreed ! What I find very confusing is the multitude of abbreviations basically reffering to the same thing (i.e. 3D, APV, LPV, GBAS, GLS, RNP Precison APP, pseudo ILS, etc..) If everyone would use the term " with vertical guidance " and clearly separating basic GPS navigation from the Nav with augmented systems ( WAAS and EGNOS) instead of using " RNP " for both , things would be a little clearer for everyone I guess.

Back to KTM : the RNAV APP there is a basic GPS one , not with vertical guidance and it is a 2D and non-Precision APP .

Re Training : I was not targeting the crews here, but also the controllers.
Certification is easy, training all staff is more compicated. Throwing a couples of photocopies from a training manual into the lockers can hardly be called training, yet it is sometimes what is done in some places, and not only in the thirld world.
Reading the BEA report I was refering to in post #80, http://www.bea.aero/docspa/2012/f-pe...e120403.en.pdf lack of undertanding the procedure due lack of proper training is highlighted here with multiples incidents by same airline at same airport.

Often both controllers and crews do not see the difference between "offering" an RNAV APP and "instructing" to do one. There lies the source of many problems if you ask me.