PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'm thinking of ejecting. Any last hail Marys out there?
Old 15th Mar 2015, 04:28
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
This thread has really drifted away from the OP, which was about whether or not to leave the industry.
But seeing as we are on to what we should be paid, it's simple enough.
The laws of supply and demand dictate all. In determining 'supply' it is a given that the more difficult a job, or the less pleasant a job, the fewer people can or will do it.
We can carry on all we like about how 'hard' it is to become a pilot, or how 'responsible' a job it is. But the truth is it only takes average intelligence to learn to fly a modern jet, and the work itself may be tedious or tiring to some, but is not particularly onerous. Being a plumber would be a whole lot worse. The pay-to-fly brigade have that much worked out. To them it beats the hell out of working for a living.
As for being responsible, I never worried too much about the people down the back. My sense of self preservation automatically took care of their safety, and I suspect that most pilots think much the same, if only they would admit it.
The best example I can think of to prove the supply and demand case is when one has a toothache.
Ever tried to get a discount from a dentist?