PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight control check a320
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2015, 22:44
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A training captain told me that Airbus wants to do the flight control check in the exact order as written in the fctm. Is there any reason why?
If that is the level of trivia the TC is willing to go to, then you must have had a good check/sim

2x A320 (AFIK) series have had (serious) issues post takeoff due inadequate checks. The first led to a (temporary) requirement to hold full control for 3s (the issue would have been alerted had they done so), the second required great airmanship after takeoff that could have been prevented by the correct checks IIRC?

Key to me is do the checks slowly (don't bang the control surfaces) and meticulously. Only read out "Left" etc. when you are sure - your (and other) lives depend on it, esp 1st flight of the day / post maint. I find my colleagues in a rush to complete it, and have often started to return the control before I speak... it takes time to check my PFD, the control page, the other PFD and they all correlate with where I check their sidestick is being held.

OTT? Probably... but at least 2 crews would have been less embarrassed had they done it that way