PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructing takes skill
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2003, 10:09
barleyhi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good topic - close to my heart
Some thoughts:

1 Managers/CFIs need to sort out the CPL trainees into Instructing types and Non Instructing types early in their training and start grooming then.

2 Cpl trainees need to love teaching if they want to become an instructor. Any experience in a leadership/trainer position teaching will generally indicate whether they like it or notthis to them. They should have some experience at public speaking as well as one on one instuction.

3 The rewards will come from within. Quote QNIM "I find the job demanding, frustrating and rewarding, I really get a kick to see the grin on a students face after achieving solo, GFPT, private and so on, it makes it worth while."

4 The good instuctors I have seen care about their students and their welfare and this is often returned in the most obscure ways.

5 My two favourite students were one, who started at 57 years, had left school in 4th grade and went on to achieve his PPL and aerobatic ratings. He would come to my house after hours and we would sit down and go through elementary maths and science so he could get through the exams. Previously he had worked on the wharves and each time a new electrical appliance( fallen off the back of a truck) would appear on our doorstep with him ready for the next lesson! The second one also started later in life at the age of 63 and went on to PPL and NVFR still flying at the age of 74. Great achievments both.

6 My younger students have also gone on to achieve their potential and that's what it's all about. Getting the potential realized.

7 Variety - the spice of life. Instructing in the same sequences over and over can get tedious. The good CFI will help the junior instuctor to advance and gain further Qualifications to enable them to have some variety. A professional development program for instuctors is at present being developed by ASFA

see http://www.asfa.com.au/pdf/summer03_issue1.pdf

Also RACWA has a good program to encourage instuctors to delevop their skills.

8 The older more experinced instructor also needs to revisit abinitio training from time to time. Don't be frightened of getting back in the 150 an doing a bit of circuit training or stalls etc.

9 Doing an instuctors rating will really teach you how to fly (or how much you don't know as a CPL).

10 As an instuctor I use the Demonstrate, Direct, Monitor method then let the student learn by dicovery, as much as is safe - I always cover the rudder pedals and have my hand close to the control column below 500ft, no matter what the experience level of the person I'm flying with.

11 Victa, good luck with your decision and if you choose the instructing path give it everything and enjoy the rewards.

PS have taught two of my daughters to drive - more patience needed than any of my students!