PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester airport Concorde jobs
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2015, 21:47
philbky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 1978 I approached Gordon Sweetapple with the idea of a spectators' enclosure at the brickworks which had become an unnoficial spotting area.

He was receptive but their was a problem with the ownership of the land. Eventually the problems were overcome. The initial idea was to offer free parking, paid toilets and give enthusiasts and the casual visitor chance to watch safely without obstructing traffic, crash gates or, as happened on bank holidays or when a rare or special aircraft was due, clog the surrounding roads.

The Bollin Valley people ran the first area. Time moved on and the site moved to the other side of the runway. Eventually TAS took over, the exhibits arrived and the site became the excellent facility it is today.

Obviously it has to pay its way but there are limits as to what is necessary and what is acceptable. The parking charges have gone through the roof yet the surfaces regularly puddle. The hours in winter are reduced to a minimum. Now we have the proof that money, or rather maximising profit, is the driving force rather than providing a facility for viewing and education.

Zero hour contracts are an abomination and akin to 21st century sweat shop labour. The advert promises what most will interpret as a good salary yet TAS and the airport are extremely coy and haven't the honesty to publish the pay rates for the rather detailed and specific skill sets demanded.

There will be many people who will apply who need the money and will be grateful for the job. Gratefulness for employment should have gone with the 19th century.

As an ex pat Mancunian I'm ashamed of TAS and the airport which I have visited since being nine years old and, at one stage, played a very small part in promoting.