PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure After Takeoff - Are YOU ready for it?
Old 13th Mar 2015, 21:01
Mach Jump

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a student pilot and regularly practice EFATO with my instructor. However, I fly from a international airport with quite a long runway but, depending on runway in use, often only use less than half of it. Most of the books I have read say that you should always use all the runway available and I guess this could be useful in an EFATO situation where it may be possible to land straight ahead on the same runway. It seems to me to be a wasted opportunity. what to the panel think?
nkt2000:

If you have an EFATO in most light aircraft, after using the full length of the runway at an international airport, you will, almost certainly, have either enough runway in front of you to land straight ahead, or enough height to safely turn back for either a glide approach to the same runway, or a landing in the opposite direction. It's unlikely, therefore that you would ever have to land outside the airport after an EFATO.

Your Instructor is probably trying to save taxy time (and your money) by only using half the runway. He is wrong to do that, and you should tell him that you would rather have the safety of twice the runway in front of you if the engine fails.

MJ