PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 13th Mar 2015, 15:15
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This topic is very close to my heart. I and my peers were probably one of the last to demonstrate this as part of the basic flying course (helos) in the British military (Navy). Since then Instructors have only talked about it because they had no alternative.
Hands up how many people "think" they have entered Fully Developed VRS?
As a guide let me suggest the following are prerequisites:

MASSIVE RoD (> 3-4000')
Nil or sluggish response in a minimum of two planes, probably three planes.
Vibration.

IF you don't have all three - whether you THINK you have experienced FDVR or not - guess what....you haven't!

I'm not flying any longer (had my time, done my bit), still in the trade (welded to it) but unlike most other industries the art of flying doesn't change - it is a technique which cannot be shaped to fit in with modern ideals. Subsequently it is what it is.
By this I mean that provided you get a grip of some basic techniques early, you can safeguard that which is most precious (your life) for decades to come
All qualified pilots have ticked most of the training boxes to enable them to fly off into the future and survive most occasions when things get tough, but with an extra amount of effort, research and preparation you could reduce the risk of harm to you and your passengers to an absolute minimum.

Ask yourself this - "Am I conversant and confident about the following helicopter traits that 'may' visit me during my career:"

IVRS
VRS
SWP
PS
LTE
LTA
Tail rotor malfunctions
Ground resonance
Ground loop

(None of the above can be adequately practiced outside of a simulator)

If you (a) understand each one, (b) have a response ready for each one....then you have risk managed your future to the best of your ability. That is a sign of a true professional and no-one can ask more of you.
IF you 'think' you understand these but are not sure - go find someone like many very wise guys on this fantastic forum and talk to them either online or PM them if you don't want to be embarrassed in public. Don't continue in the dark - it might go dark sooner than you think........and forever

Fly safe and keep the damn ball in the middle..............................