PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 13th Mar 2015, 13:26
Hughes500

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
Well all I can say I have been in full VRS once, terrifying .
In a S300 had demonstrated recovery from incipient state with a ROD of 800 ft a minute to a student and let him recover 6 times. All from 3000 ft agl. Recovery was to dump lever and forward cylic.
Decided to do one last one, as a relatively young instructor had hands close to controls but not on. Had heli at 3000 ft started to go into incipient state, ac shaking pitching and rolling ROD 800 ft min asked student to recover, his action was to apply max collective......... f..k me. We were suddenly falling tail first, from seeing mother earth in a normal plain to sitting with one' s back to her in a split second is a bit of a brown trouser moment ! IVSI almost instantly went to 3000 ft a min. Lever fully down, cylic full forward nothing happening still falling tail first. Could see ground coming up to met us very quickly, applied full left pedal ( don't know why instinct maybe or nothing else left to do ), instantly from looking up at the heavens now looking straight down at mother earth!! Ac then seemed to pick up speed ( don't remember too much ) then stopped shaking, full power applied and levelled the shop at about 200 ft from ground. Student then commented would you like to punch me when we get back to the field.
As they say by the Grace of God. Cant really say I thought too much about what happened as it happened unbelievably quickly !!

Last edited by Hughes500; 13th Mar 2015 at 16:02.