PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOI into the 2012 Tornado Collision over the Moray Firth
Old 13th Mar 2015, 09:43
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heads in the sand !

The Miltary are not the only ones with their heads deep in the sand when it comes to collision warning systems EASA is just as bad.

The Idiots at EASA just want to make lots of money from it.

They have already approved the ADS-B system that is about to be fitted to my aircraft for use in a wide range of aircraft with American type certificates, however I am allowed to fit the system to my aircraft but because my aircraft has an EASA type certificate EASA want me to get a supplemental type certificate ( STC ) to switch on this already IFR approved kit.... Cost £15k !!

When you look at the attitude of the UK CAA and NATS the contrast is stark, these organisations are activly pursuing the safely advantages of ADS-B to the point that NATS are running a trial for the use of non- IFR approved GPS units as the sorce for ADS-B, with the UK CAA waving the fees for modification oversight for aircraft participating in this research.
This research has to be done with Annex 2 and homebuit aircraft as for reasons outlined above EASA annex 1 aircraft can't take part.

ADS-B offers real safety benefits for all who use the sky, not only to avoid collisions but I also understand that the security services are keen on it as a way of monitoring uncontrolled air traffic.

While I apologise for taking this thread off topic I want to highlight the appalling attitude of EASA when it comes to the advancment of safety for both civil and military aviators using new but proven technology.