PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Approach oddities
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2015, 21:37
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Heathrow Approach oddities

this is not really worthy of the professional ATC forum hence posting here.
Was at Blackbushe today around 2pm idling away half an hour watching the local movements and the 9R inbound traffic to LHR including that from the north via the bins and FR24. Around 2 15 my attention was drawn to a LH A320 just north of Blackbushe in a close to 180 degree left turn having clearly gone way way through the localiser. I know this si sometimes done for spacing but trun completed it was now headed directly at (but 1000' below) a Ethipian 788 also heading south way way beyond the 9R final approach course as they passed the Ethiopian began a 180 to the right taking it below (by 2-3000 ft) a BA Airbus also heading due south which duly made a 180 to the right .
The upshot of all these unusual evolutions was now three aircraft headed roughly NNE back towards the 9R final approach neatly separated in distance and height for joining finals.

I have never seen anything like this although I know in busy time the occasional Lamboure inbound is switch via Ockham to even out the flow . Was it due to any unusual event or just a very slick piece of ad hoc controlling although it must have seemed a bit odd to the pilots especially the Ethiopian who was suddenly presented with a A320 head on although clearly 1000 below.

Any comments from a friendly controller?