PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA flight from heathrow to Cape town
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2015, 19:06
Mr Mac

Received 168 Likes on 103 Posts
Carbheatout
My knowledge of heat at altitude over the Sahara is purely based on the difference I used to feel on the BA flights down to Kenya when BA had both a night and day flight. Invariably the night flight appeared to be smoother, a point confirmed by CC and the flight deck. This was pre 9/11 so if you asked nicely in the middle of the night you could go up to have a look at the stars , gas flares, and large crop circles over southern Libya, as well as a chat. On daytime flights sometimes in the Spring you noted dust storms which appeared to reach 25k ft and those flights were notably bumpy in comparison.

Cavortingcheetah
I would say my experience of 340 is very limited having only flown on EK,SQ,LH A/C and not often, and indeed only one was over the Sahara down to Ghana with LH. Most of my African flying was with BA when I worked in that patch, and the A/C were either 777 or 747, so the bumpy flights were on Boeings, although an Airbus would have bounced just as much I dare say in those conditions !.
I am not a pilot, or really an enthusiast , just an interested passenger so my observations are those from that perspective, although one who does spend rather a lot more than most of his time in A/C and airports.

Prophets mother is I believe, Aminah Bint Wahb, from memory, but please do not quote me !!
Regards
Mr Mac

Last edited by Mr Mac; 13th Mar 2015 at 12:35.