PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2015, 21:44
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fairdealfrank
We are using the Premium class's that partly why EK put on the extra 380. The Business class cabin on the EK flights down to the Gulf is very rarely quiet and I do this route about twice a month. I believe the other mid east carriers are also well patronised at the front end. It is only anecdotal as I do not have the figures to back this up but by my feeling through observation, is that Manchester is doing fine with regards the front end loads.

Regards
Mr Mac
This is good to hear, but for more non-stop longhaul to work from Asia, etc., pax may need to wheen themselves off the various one-stop options.

Don't know why he thinks MAN pax don't support the front end.
On every LH, EK, QR flight I have been on, ex MAN, Bizz class has been full or very close to it.
Virtually all Air Transat Premium seats are sold out for the entire summer.
Very often demand outstrips supply, First, when available, may be a bit thin, but there certainly is no shortage of premium pax. Northerners aren't as tight as some people make out.
He doesn't (see my comments above), just think the non-stop options should be supported, or else they'll be pulled. Inevitably, this would be, in part, at the expense of the various one-stop options.

As for tight, it's traditionally Yorkshire and east Scotland ("you'll have had your tea then") folks, but we all know this isn't the case.

Fairdealfrank / Mr A Tis
Had further confirmation on West bound flight after discussion with my near neighbour who recently returned from Barbados with Virgin, and reported all the front end full. Also he bagged the last 2 Upper class seats available for this time next year on that route !. I do not go west that often these days, but all of East bound travel with SQ/EK /LH and recently CX have had 90%+ full Business class cabins, although like Mr A Tis said I do not know if First where available is that well patronised, I will ask next week.
Excellent, Ringway clearly has a good future.

Incidentally I do not know if a connection to Peking is that important as most of the business I and others have to go to in China are in Shanghai, and associated areas. From conversations with people on board flights to these areas, with old "China hands", this appears a common perception. On the back of that, a Shanghai service maybe more profitable, and would almost definitely have cargo potential as well. Also would get me home quicker if that is not too selfish !.

Regards
Mr Mac
Yes, Shanghai is China's business and finance powerhouse (just like Bombay in the case of India). China Eastern to/from Pudong would make sense.

This really is bizarre, my views on HS2 are unprintable BUT I concede IF you are going to spend billions on a new train set, throwing in a few extra bob to connect the UKs premier mega hub to the HS2 network would be a mandatory part of the equation would it not ?
More incredible is the fact that it was quietly filed away without a whimper !
Quite agree with both your points, Bagso. It may be academic, there's a strong possibility that HS2 will be scrapped after sufficient dosh has been wasted.

Clearly the best way to travel between Ringway and Heathrow is by air, and will remain so.

Bagso
Cancellation of link, along with long term delay to HS3. It looks like a lot of train sets are being put away at the moment.

Regards
Mr Mac
Yes, this is very bad, HS3 (sic) or an equivelant railway is needed as urgently as Heathrow expansion, and should take preference over HS2. It's a no-brainer!

Oh dear, have mention the R-word (railway). Better brace myself for another onslaught, possibly on another forum.

At least my fear that HS2 station outside T2 would simply turn Manchester into a long stay car park for Heathrow have been banished !

When asked about a High Speed Rail / Crossrail interchange at Old Oak Common, Former Transport Secretary Philip Hammond stated a few years back...

"Lug your heavy bags down a couple of escalators along 600m of corridor and then change trains at a wet suburban station somewhere in north west London. That is not an option."

....well it is now !
Clearly the best way to travel between Ringway and Heathrow is by air, and will remain so.