PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway excursion by DL MD-80
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2015, 18:27
CrashManII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baggage Evacuation & Emergency Instructions

Unfortunately I've been on two different commercial crashes, so I do have a little different perspective on evacuation proceedings.

The first was SWA Flight 2294 back in 2009 when a football sized hole in the plane blew open in the top of the airplane. Fortunately, when we landed there was no need for an emergency evacuation and they advised us to grab our luggage. However, as I was sitting in an Exit Row, it was surprising the amount of additional information they provided as we were preparing to land. I've flown for over 25 years on business and had never heard some of those--important--instructions.

The 2nd was SWA Flight 345 2 years ago at LGA. In this case, we had no warning until we hit and skidded to a stop. It was shortly after the Asiana crash so it was fresh in our memories. As I was sitting in an exit row, I was waiting for crew instructions--none came. If you watch the in-plane flight Youtube clip, you will hear me ask, (as calmly as possible to not cause concern,) "do you want us to open the exit doors?" I asked it twice, no reply until we were told to take our seats.

As passengers, when you receive no guidance and you start to smell smoke, it was terribly upsetting. However, although great concern by all, I did not sense any real panic. We simply wanted to get off the plane, it took several minutes before they provided any instructions other than to sit down. At that point, individuals started to pick up their briefcases, computer bags or purses. I did not see anyone trying to get a rolling bag or anything of any size.

I'm a big man and went out the back slide which was elevated more than normal due to the nose of the plane tilting on the ground. My computer bag, clasped firmly in my arms on my chest, caused no problem.

I've read the criticism by others about this "selfish" act and how they would run someone over. No-you wouldn't. You might be surprised at how disciplined people can be even when scared to death. (That said, had we seen flames I don't think anyone would have grabbed anything, just get out. I was sitting beside the exit door on the raised wing, if it had gotten urgent, I was prepared to throw the door out and jump to the ground. Survival is more important than a rolled ankle.)