PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76: Ask Nick Lappos
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2015, 18:13
flintexpert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Revolutionary,

My experience flying a couple of examples of S76A++/C++/D is that the S76 normally has just a tiny bit of adverse collective-to-yaw coupling, especially if the controls are moved rapidly, or if the machine is new and "tight".

As I recall, somewhere in the maintenance manual or the flight check procedures even says something to the effect that a small amount is normal as long as you can overpower it without using excessive force on the collective. I suppose that this is subjective, and what is a "small amount" to one pilot could be "excessive" to another.

If there is excessive collective-to-yaw coupling then it is usually something binding somewhere aft of the mixing unit. Sometimes it is the rigging of the cables going back to the tail rotor, a bad bellcrank bearing, etc.

Also note that there is much more left pedal travel available than right pedal travel before the pedal bottoms out, so if you are checking the feedback between the collective and pedals then it doesn't take much right pedal before the pedal bottoms out and the collective moves up.

Hope this helps