PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Potential ILS gotcha
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2015, 09:19
AerocatS2A

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There is one Australian port I fly into that has a habit of NOTAMing the ILS as off for works at night but when you go in there you find no mention of it on the ATIS and if you tune and ident it you find that it appears to be working. I always make a point of confirming with approach what the actual status is if there is any ambiguity and I also make a point of letting the guys I fly with know about the Air NZ incident. Just because it has a valid ident and no flags does not mean it is a working ILS.

The other lesson I take from it is to conduct your glide slope checks at an altitude, not a distance. So if the marker check height is at 1300' then when you get to 1300' check your distance or check that the marker is sounding as expected. If you wait for the marker to sound and then check altitude you might find you've already lost terrain clearance if you were in a premature descent like those guys were. Ideally do a few glide slope checks, it's not like there's much else to do on an ILS once checklists etc are taken care of.

Edit: sometimes approach says they're just about to turn it off, other times they say it's been decided to leave it on for the night. Assume nothing.