PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'm thinking of ejecting. Any last hail Marys out there?
Old 11th Mar 2015, 08:20
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
The consensus here seems to be that the profession of pilot is no longer attractive. But there will always be those who just have to do it, just as those of my generation had to do it.
The best advice I can offer anyone with the money and determination to take up flying is to qualify in something else first, because you may never make it to that coveted left seat of a jet. And, even if you do, you may come to hate the bloody sacrifices you have to make to get there. So a fall back qualification is essential.
To those like the OP - who at 7000 hours has already invested perhaps a third of his useful working life in the game - either use your current income to qualify in something useful (if you are not already) or get into the check and training scene or some associated management position such as fleet captain or operations manager. Then you may be able to pick up work associated with the industry after pulling the pin.
If you have no other skills, unfortunately there is nothing so useless as an unemployed pilot.