PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL theory exams - any developments from CAA/AOPA ?
Old 10th Mar 2015, 18:14
B61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Aspeq system is used for exams for ATPL, CPL and IR, but these can only be sat at selected exam centres.

It does require candidates to be approved by an ATO. But until recently there were no plans to put PPL exams on it so I think is very unlikely that this would be used.

There is also the issue that there is no one at the CAA with there knowledge or inclination to produce a set of suitable questions relevant to the PPL - a look at the current Navigation exam papers would confirm this ! Their focus is on professional exams and I have always had the impression that at PPL level is that other than complying with EASA regulations, there is little interest in them.

This means it is most likely to be devolved to a suitable organisation - AOPA, the NPPL people, even an upgraded set of what the microlight people use ?

I do not see that there would be the financial justification for an online exam system with all the overheads of passwords, administrators, setups etc.

It is just so much more simple for the CAA on a periodic basis, say every two years, to print off a batch of exams paperwork and send it out by post. And leave it up to the GR examiners to print off answer sheets and provide their own Edition 40 chart.

I don't see how disproportionate effort would be required to reduce from 9 "sections" down to 6. They seemed to inflate from 7 to 9 exams without any problem, again for no other reason than to comply with what the perceived requirement of EASA.

When it was pointed out that having more than 120 questions did not meet the EASA AMCs, we ended up with a re-issue in October 2014.

It is silly to have a situation of someone presenting themselves up to 9 times to take exams / "sections" / call them as you wish, especially just for 12 questions.

Once, twice or at most 3 shoud be more than enough.

Up to the late 80s, there were just 3 exams (Air Law, AGK/PoF, and Nav&Met.

Why does it have to be made so difficult ?