PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish A330 incident, Kathmandu
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2015, 12:40
silvertate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK465

So if your only options are between a VOR NPA approach with at 6 degree descent angle or an RNP-AR APV with a 3 degree descent angle, which will you prefer to fly?
That depends, doesn't it.

If we had 20 years of experience of successful GNS approaches, we could narrow the probabilities down a bit. But launching into a new system and pretending that it is the same or better than an ILS is somewhat premature. Especially when it is only has a guaranteed 95% probability of being correct.

I was reasonably happy with the 1,000 ft decision we used in training, but less so with the 300 ft decision at this airport. And I am still not happy with a pseudo-glideslope that does not call out vertical profile errors. Do you know what the max vertical error is for the approach? And was the PNF monitoring it, all the way down the approach? Do you always know the escape procedure, if the GPS loses the plot and deletes the trackline while on the approach?

I give you the example of TCAS, which was launched as the latest thing in improved flight safety. And then the first thing TCAS does, is cause an inflight collision. The same difference exists here. Let's think through the possibilities and pitfalls a bit more, and walk before we run.