PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What has been the one, absolute highlight of your flying so far?
Old 9th Jun 2003, 23:42
A310driver

foxtrot xray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like most of the other posters I guess that first solo, passing rating rides and check-outs in high performance A/C are all special moments we remember. For me , some of my most special moments were associated with many international sorties in an Aztec which I owned for nearly 22 years.

. Seeing the Greenland ice cap rise above the undercast on first Atlantic crossing from Goose Bay to Narsarssauq using DR navigation (before Loran, GPS)

. Making first ever landing in Europe out of a to-minimums ILS approach to Stavanger after diverting from intended landing at Bergen which had gone zero-zero

.Watching the OMEGA tick-off 89-58N,89-59N....... signalling arrival over the North Pole

. Circling the North Pole (clockwise to increase ground speed, of course!!!!) four times in a standard rate turn so as to go around the world four times in eight minutes

.Finding Spitzbergen after the NP crossing from Resolute Bay

.Going around the world the hard way(Detroit-Gander-Lisbon -Athens-Cairo-Bahrain-Bombay-Singapore-Bali -Darwin -Alice-Sydney-Brisbane-Pt Moresby-Biak-Manila -Nagoya-Kushiro- Adak-Anchorage-Edmonton-Winnipeg -Detroit in 24 days

.Landing at night on Totegegie in Fr Polynesia with flare pots (3) set out by the natives..on a leg from Tahiti to Easter Island..as part of South Pacific round Robin DET- Santa Barbara-Honolulu-Marshal Is-Solomon Is-Sydney(again)-Figi-Samoa-Tahiti(incl Bora Bora)-Easter Is-Lima -Guayaquil-Houston-DET

And other stuff too.

Advice to you young guys ...embellish your logs with lot's of details so that you can regale your grand kids 50 years from now...I am.