PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'm thinking of ejecting. Any last hail Marys out there?
Old 10th Mar 2015, 10:50
stiglet

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Plainly I'm in the minority on this forum in enjoying my career and loving flying; even after all these years it is obviously a true vocation for me and yes I've been lucky. I can understand you don't want to look back in years to come with any regrets at not having tried when it's something you've always wanted to do.

I have one last thought for you, it's not meant as a suggestion but just something for you to consider if you are determined to become a commercial pilot. There are lots of different types of flying jobs out there, airline flying being but one. It sounds as if you are well prepared and have done your research well and I commend your attitude.

The observation is this: you have discounted going to Oxford or CTC for obvious reasons however, regretably, it is becoming very difficult to take the improves route into the major airlines as most of the larger airlines predominantly take their new pilots from these schools.

john smith - I don't think he's been nieve; I think he's thought this through and done his research. He's done what so many on this forum have recommended before and got himself a good qualification/trade that he can fall back on if things don't turn out. These days people do change careers more than they did in the past so why should this be any more difficult. I would suggest the vast majority of the working population hate their job and in fact proportionally less in aviation. His desire to be a pilot appears to be for all the right reasons so why should he want to stop or hate the job as you suggest so many of us do? He's had a job in aviation so he understands the environment and the work ethic involved.

Last edited by stiglet; 10th Mar 2015 at 11:07. Reason: to respond to john smith