PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch 2015
Thread: Monarch 2015
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2015, 09:26
Enzo999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is supposed to be about Monarch not Monarch vs EasyJet. I know a few FOs left Easy for Monarch and that seems to have left a bad taste in the mouths of a few guys at Easy, but it was just a few, the vast majority of FOs at Monarch have no connection to Easy at all.

A lot of captains have recently left Mon and I tend to agree with Count that this is the correct move, the guys that turned it down did so because they did not want to relocate or live away from their families for 5 days a week (perfectly understandable).

I also agree that EasyJet are a good company that treat their staff better than its competitors, but don't kid yourselves that it is perfect or that it has not played a part in driving down Terms across the whole industry.

The reasons no FO has joined Easy from Monarch are as follows.

1, most of us can't afford to, if we joined it would be on a fexi contract salary at its best 60k for 900 hours, but I think it's fair to assume we will work closer to 600 resulting in a salary of 40,200, This is based on the highest rate of pay! No pension, sick pay, holiday pay. Like many other adults in this world I have bills nursery fees, mortgage, car loan etc and I have to be sure each month I will be able to pay them.

But after 1 year of this we will be rewarded (if the company requires it) with a full time second officer contract 39k a year with no flight pay. My first ever job in aviation 10 years ago was paying more than that. So after yet another year of not being able to feed my family or heat my house I will finally get that FO salary 45k apart from the are very likely to give me 75 percent meaning another year of earning not enough.

It will easily take me 4 years to earn anything close to the salary needed to maintain my lifestyle.

2, They have not actually offered any of us job we were supposed to have interviews but the were cancelled late last year and never re scheduled. In that time though I bet they have taken hundreds of fresh faced cadets.

If EasyJet offered us all full time FO or SFO contracts nearly every FO would leave instantly but they won't because it's too expensive. As I said earlier I am not attacking EasyJet I like many others would love to join but the terms on offer at the bottom end are so bad only cadets or people truly disparate will except them. At the top end SFO and captain things are much better but still a long way off industry leading.

I am glad the people working at Easy Love it but you must try and see why the rest of us fail to agree. You describe it as a fair and decent employer well they are not being very fair or decent to experienced pilots wanting to join.