PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apache replacement
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2015, 20:57
Bigbux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember that AW are a business; they make money by selling helicopters and support services. Of course they will bid and lobby hard for UK RW orders. Let's not attack them for simply doing their job. I'd rather we poured scorn on the weak politicians who listen to lobbyists and govern by focus groups and polls rather than by decisiveness and common sense.
Evalu8tor - I wouldn't shed too many tears for them - they have fleeced the MoD for many years (not glib opinion - I've been involved in the numbers and support effort) and when I last dealt with them there was more than a little sharp practice going on (long term perpetrators were "let go" shortly after one of the take-overs).

As for job losses, Westlands has a long history of hiring contractors on low rates and short contracts - letting them go at opportune moments (with accompanying press release) and then re-hiring them.

New EU procurement regs came into force last month - they include Defence and Security contracts. The normal practice of lobbying and offering senior stakeholders (from the support as well as sharp end) consultancy positions, directorships and jobs may prove to be a little more difficult this time around. Unless the UK is planning to design and build it's very own AH thus avoiding an international competition , then the process becomes more transparent and challengeable.

And as for the procurement process being lengthy - ever asked why? It's not because of the process.

I look forward to Westlands either stepping up to the challenge and becoming the home grown centre of helicopter excellence they claim to be, or going bust.