PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'm thinking of ejecting. Any last hail Marys out there?
Old 9th Mar 2015, 14:16
Tank2Engine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you had a look at the real world outside of aviation? Ever spoke to an architect, lawyer or even better a plumber or builder. Do you realize the lack of jobs we are facing?
Yes, I talk to plenty of 'real world' people, and when you factor out the prestige from being a pilot then there is little left of your argument. Lack of jobs? You mean like the lack of pilot jobs that those present 500 hour P2F pilots are facing? Just try to project the downward pressure on FTL's and T&C's forward 10-20 years and think about what the world will look like.

You do have somewhat of a point in that more and more jobs get outsourced and that everybody has to work hard(er) for a living, but for some pilots the lack of lifestyle, social life and the cumulative effect of fatigue and jet-lag just aren't worth it anymore. Some people only live to fly and limit themselves to looking inside the box when it comes to earning money, while others take a critical look at past, present and future and think: "where is this all going?" "is this really worth it?" and "can I do something else in life?"

I find that most people who are the least critical of the aviation business are the ones that have the smallest social life and least number of activities and hobbies and are the most caught up in the rat race of buying a bigger house, a bigger car and keeping up with the neighbours.

For the rest of us, toughen up and get on with it until you get a nice part time if that's what you want, or you're in for a tough surprise out there. Just sayin'.
Just sayin' but despite EU directives, almost no company offers good part-time solutions anymore. Most companies only offer part-time during the (s)lower parts of the business cycle like during the winter months, but so far I have never worked for a company that will, in writing, give me part time, unless they can cancel it within a few months. In my present company many pilots want part-time, but the company just refuses to give it.

Fact is, most companies do NOT want happy well rested part-time pilots, they just want to mob you away by working you to death so that they can replace you with a fresh and cheaper pilot.

...and with my last comment we've come full circle again, as people have had enough of the mobbing, enough of the fatigue, enough of the lack of part-time, enough of the total lack of social life and lifestyle and simply want OUT!

Last edited by Tank2Engine; 9th Mar 2015 at 14:56.