PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'm thinking of ejecting. Any last hail Marys out there?
Old 9th Mar 2015, 12:34
stiglet

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not saying it's perfect and I deplore the pay for a type rating situation but when you join these days you know what you're getting into. There are very few options out there to have all your training paid for; for most at best you will have to fund your initial training. If you want to jump directly into an airline you'll just have to 'suck it up' and take the hit with your finances until you gain experience; that's the way it's gone and that's the way we've let it go. I feel more sorry for those with experience who are now stuck in a rut when cadets jump them in the queue for the jets (if that's what they want).

The improving conditions I refer to relate more to options such as: P/T, fixed roster patterns, parental leave, company share schemes and pensions none of which were offered in my first airline and most of which have been gained in the last few years. Then there's the ops support we now have which is routinely taken forgranted. Money isn't always the biggest issue. At least as an FO the only way is up and the financial rewards are unquestionably very reasonable when you reach captain - whether they stay that way is anyones guess.

So for the poster who was considering leaving here are differing views and for the one considering joining a lot to mull over. No one is forced to join so why is there so much angst going on; I don't hear it so much in other professions, at least not to this extent? Compared to the rest of the population we have it good.